[petsc-users] Partitioning in DMNetwork

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:08:56 CST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya <
salazardetroya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> In DMNetwork we have edges and vertices and we can add an arbitrary number
> of variables to both edges and vertices. When the partitioning is carried
> out, is this done according to the number of edges and vertices or the
> variables? Say for example, that we assigned a very large number of
> variables to the first edge, a number much greater than the total number of
> edges or vertices. After the partitioning, the processor that contains that
> edge with many variables would have a very large portion of the global
> vector, wouldn't it?
>
> This case is hypothetical and something to avoid, but, could it happen?
> Would the partitioning be made in some other way to avoid this load
> unbalance?

We can do weighted partitioning. We have not done it yet because in my
experience the partitioners
are quite fragile with respect to the weights and also the weighting has to
be very coarse-grained.
However, if you have something that really needs it, we can do it.