[petsc-users] DMNetworkGetEdgeRange() in parallel

Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya salazardetroya at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:42:08 CST 2015

I implemented the code as agreed, but I don't get the results I expected.
When I create the vector with DMCreateGlobalVector(), I obtain a vector
with a layout similar to the original DMNetwork, instead of the cloned
network with the new PetscSection. The code is as follows:

DMClone(dm, &dmEdge);

PetscSectionCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &s);
PetscSectionSetNumFields(s, 1);
PetscSectionSetFieldComponents(s, 0, 1);

// Now to set the chart, I pick the edge range

DMNetworkGetEdgeRange(dmEdge, & eStart, & eEnd)

PetscSectionSetChart(s, eStart, eEnd);

for(PetscInt e = eStart; c < eEnd; ++e) {
     PetscSectionSetDof(s, e, 1);
     PetscSectionSetFieldDof(s, e, 0, 1);
}
PetscSectionSetUp(s);

DMSetDefaultSection(dmEdge s);
DMCreateGlobalVector(dmEdge, &globalVec);

When I get into DMCreateGlobalVector(dmEdge, &globalVec) in the debugger,
in the function DMCreateSubDM_Section_Private() I call PetscSectionView()
on the section obtained by DMGetDefaultGlobalSection(dm, &sectionGlobal),
and I obtain a PetscSection nothing like the one I see when I call
PetscSectionView()
on the PetscSection I created above. Does this have anything to do? I tried
to compare this strange PetscSection with the one from the original
DMNetwork, I call DMGetDefaultGlobalSection(dm, &sectionGlobal) before the
first line of the snippet above and I get this error message.

0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Object is in wrong state
[0]PETSC ERROR: DM must have a default PetscSection in order to create a
global PetscSection

Thanks in advance
Miguel

salaza11 at illinois.edu