[petsc-users] HermitianTranspose version of MatCreateTranspose.

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 23 16:43:27 CST 2015

> On Feb 23, 2015, at 4:05 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>   The directory include/petsc-private/matimp.h is always provided
>>   with a PETSc installation so though _p_Mat is "private" to PETSc
>>   you can extend PETSc "out side of the library proper".
>
> What you don't get when accessing the private headers is a guarantee of
> backward compatibility (even across subminor releases) or documentation
> of changes in the release notes.  If people are using private headers
> frequently, we should strive to make a public interface to fulfill their
> needs.

  If they are writing code that they intend to share with the PETSc community (i.e. eventually it becomes a pull request into petsc so the user will not maintain it themselves for a long time)*; like I assumed in this case, then it is fine to use the private headers.

  Barry

* For example providing a piece of functionality that we frankly just forgot about.