[petsc-users] DMNetworkGetEdgeRange() in parallel

Abhyankar, Shrirang G. abhyshr at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 23 15:11:06 CST 2015

I think you should call DMClone after partitioning (DMDistribute).

Shri

From: Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya <salazardetroya at gmail.com<mailto:salazardetroya at gmail.com>>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:15:00 -0600
To: Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com<mailto:knepley at gmail.com>>
Cc: Shri <abhyshr at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:abhyshr at mcs.anl.gov>>, "petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>" <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>>
Subject: Re: [petsc-users] DMNetworkGetEdgeRange() in parallel

Thanks a lot, the partition should be done before setting up the section, right?

Miguel

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com<mailto:knepley at gmail.com>> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya <salazardetroya at gmail.com<mailto:salazardetroya at gmail.com>> wrote:
Wouldn't including the edge variables in the global vector make the code slower? I'm using the global vector in a TS, using one of the explicit RK schemes. The edge variables would not be updated in the RHSFunction evaluation. I only change the edge variables in the TSUpdate. If the global vector had the edge variables, it would be a much larger vector, and all the vector operations performed by the TS would be slower. Although the vector F returned by the RHSFunction would be zero in the edge variable components. I guess that being the vector sparse that would not be a problem.

I think I'm more interested in the PetscSection approach because it might require less modifications in my code. However, I don't know how I could do this. Maybe something like this?

PetscSectionCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &s);
PetscSectionSetNumFields(s, 1);
PetscSectionSetFieldComponents(s, 0, 1);

// Now to set the chart, I pick the edge range

DMNetworkGetEdgeRange(dm, & eStart, & eEnd

PetscSectionSetChart(s, eStart, eEnd);

for(PetscInt e = eStart; c < eEnd; ++e) {
     PetscSectionSetDof(s, e, 1);
     PetscSectionSetFieldDof(s, e, 1, 1);

It should be PetscSectionSetFieldDof(s, e, 0, 1);

}
PetscSectionSetUp(s);

Now in the manual I see this:

First you want to do:

  DMClone(dm, &dmEdge);

and then use dmEdge below.

DMSetDefaultSection(dm, s);
DMGetLocalVector(dm, &localVec);
DMGetGlobalVector(dm, &globalVec);

Setting up the default section in the DM would interfere with the section already set up with the variables in the vertices?

Yep, thats why you would use a clone.

Thanks a lot for your responses.