[petsc-users] PETSc and AMPI

Eduardo erocha.ssa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:28:20 CST 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    The "global" data contains function pointers which can't be trivially
> shipped around.

You don't need to copy the function itself, just the pointer, because the
binary is the same, and (I believe) AMPI requires this binary to be loaded
in the same virtual address space in all physical processors.

>    The "global" data we are talking about  is essentially read only once
> it is initialized in PetscInitialize()

Even though, "global" date is read-only, you'd have to make sure that the
MPI rank (inside a thread) access its appropriate copy when it is running.
Again, TLS may do the trick.

Eduardo