[petsc-users] Duplicate options

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 09:29:20 CDT 2015

Hi!

Is it intentional that Petsc prints duplicates of the matrix-related
options in the following test program that creates two matrices?:

-------------
Mat A;
ierr = MatCreate(PETSC_COMM_SELF, &A); CHKERRQ(ierr);
ierr = MatSetType(A, MATSEQAIJ); CHKERRQ(ierr);

Mat B;
ierr = MatCreate(PETSC_COMM_SELF, &B); CHKERRQ(ierr);
ierr = MatSetType(B, MATSEQAIJ); CHKERRQ(ierr);
--------------

The output when running with -help contains:

Options for SEQAIJ matrix -------------------------------------------------
  -mat_no_unroll: <FALSE> Do not optimize for inodes (slower) (None)
  -mat_no_inode: <FALSE> Do not optimize for inodes -slower- (None)
  -mat_inode_limit <5>: Do not use inodes larger then this value (None)
Options for SEQAIJ matrix -------------------------------------------------
  -mat_no_unroll: <FALSE> Do not optimize for inodes (slower) (None)
  -mat_no_inode: <FALSE> Do not optimize for inodes -slower- (None)
  -mat_inode_limit <5>: Do not use inodes larger then this value (None)

The section "Options for SEQAIJ matrix" is repeated. The reason I ask is
because I have another Petsc program that prints an enormous amount of
duplicate lines when running with -help. I found this old thread from
2006 about the same problem:

http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/2006-October/000737.html

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen