[petsc-users] hypre-boomeramg precondition

Qiyue Lu qiyuelu1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:54:26 CDT 2014

Dear All:

I am solving a series of matrix which are from the same FEA model but have
different number of meshes. In petsc, I use CR as the solver and
hypre-boomeramg as the preconditioner. It works for a small system with 2
million DOFs. Also works for a system with 6 million DOFs. But always fail
with an error ' memory out of range' for a 10 or 20 million system.

Additionally, with solver CR + preconditioner bjacobi, Petsc could solve 10
and 20 million and even large systems easily.

Also, with using top command in linux by monitoring the memory usage, I saw
some peaks in the memory.

So, I am wondering, is this because the memory usage of boomeramg, that
larger systems always fail?

Thanks

Qiyue Lu