[petsc-users] vtk output ASCII or binary

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Mar 4 22:59:04 CST 2014

Xiangdong <epscodes at gmail.com> writes:

> At this moment, when I write the solutions (two vectors with a few billion
> unknowns) to binary vts format, the writing rate is about 100MB/s from proc
> 0.

How many procs are you writing from and what filesystem do you have?
How much faster is it if you write the PETSc binary format using MPI-IO
(-viewer_binary_mpiio)?  If that is lots faster for you, I can fairly
simply add support for writing VTS that way.  You'll still pay when you
visualize, however.

> Do you think writing the data into pvts format will enhance the
> performance?

No.  PVTS is a crappy format designed by people that evidently did not
understand parallel IO performance.  But all the VTK formats are crappy
if you really care about performance.  With the VTK formats, if you
write it efficiently, it will still be a bottleneck to read.  We support
them because they are easy.  Use HDF5 if you want something sensible.