[petsc-users] vtk output ASCII or binary

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 12:52:49 CST 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Xiangdong <epscodes at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the difference between PetscViewerSetType and
> PetscViewerSetFormat? It seems that the first one take argument like
> PETSCVIEWERVTK, while the second one takes PETSC_VIEWER_VTK_VTS.

A viewer type is the object type, just like other PETSc object, e.g. KSP.
The format is a particular version
of that output. For example, ASCII viewer is a type, whereas Matlab is a
format.

> By the way, how can I find a full list of formats? Clearly,
> PETSC_VIEWER_VTK_VTS is not listed in online documentation for
> PetscViewerSetFormat
>
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Viewer/PetscViewerSetFormat.html

It is listed in the complete list:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-dev/docs/manualpages/Viewer/PetscViewerFormat.html