[petsc-users] Irritating behavior of MUMPS with PETSc

Gunnar Jansen jansen.gunnar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 08:44:23 CDT 2014

Hi,

i try to solve a problem in parallel with MUMPS as the direct solver. As
long as I run the program on only 1 node with 6 processors everything works
fine! But using 2 nodes with 3 processors each gets mumps stuck in the
factorization.

For the purpose of testing I run the ex2.c on a resolution of 100x100
(which is of course way to small for a direct solver in parallel).

The code is run with :
mpirun ./ex2 -on_error_abort -pc_type lu -pc_factor_mat_solver_package
mumps -ksp_type preonly -log_summary -options_left -m 100 -n 100
-mat_mumps_icntl_4 3

The petsc-configuration I used is:
--prefix=/opt/Petsc/3.4.4.extended --with-mpi=yes
--with-mpi-dir=/opt/Openmpi/1.9a/ --with-debugging=no --download-mumps
 --download-scalapack --download-parmetis --download-metis

Is this common behavior? Or is there an error in the petsc configuration I
am using here?

Best,
Gunnar