[petsc-users] Retrieving a SubMatrix from a Matrix in parallel

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 17 17:16:25 CDT 2014

On Jun 17, 2014, at 5:03 PM, Arthur Kurlej <akurlej at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wish to extract a parallel AIJ submatrix (B) from another parallel AIJ matrix (A), in particular, if I have an NxN matrix, I wish to extract the first N-1 rows and N-1 columns of A.
>
> I can do this perfectly fine when running my code sequentially using ISCreateStride and MatGetSubMatrix like so:
> ISCreateStride(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,N,1,1,&is);

   ISCreateStride() does not work this way. Each process should provide only the part of the stride space of rows that it wants. What you indicate above has each process taking the stride space from 1 to N.

   So for your parallel matrix below you could have process 0 use in ISCreateStride(  , 2,0,1,&isrow) while process 1 has ( ,1,2,1,&isrow) so you are saying the first process wants rows 0 and 1 while the second process wants rows 2. Meanwhile both processes want columns 0,1,2 so they would each create an IS with ISCreateStride(  , 3,0,1,&iscol)

  Barry