[petsc-users] Irregular Matrix Partitioning problem

Brian Yang jyang29 at uh.edu
Wed Jun 11 11:44:14 CDT 2014

Hi all,

To solve a linear system, Ax=b, I am trying to solve a irregular matrix
partitioning problem.

For example, I want to create a parallel sparse matrix A, which is a square
and 1000*1000.

Due to the requirements of the problem, for the first and last 100 rows, I
just want to put 1.0 in the main diagonal.

For the middle 800 rows, I will set other values around the main diagonal.
So what I want to do is that first and last computing node take care of the
first and last 100 rows and other nodes distribute the work in between.

Is there any specific way to achieve this considering it's a parallel
matrix? If yes, should I also be care of the method to create the related
parallel vector?

Thanks.

Brian