[petsc-users] same code, different machine, different performance

张国熙 altriaex86 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:20:13 CDT 2014

Hi,all

Recently I am using SLEPc to solve an sparse eigenvalue problem. I use
krylov-shur and mumps as solvers.

My codes work well my corei5 dual core laptop. Compared to my old
sequential solution ARPACK/UMFPACK, running with 2 process could give me
1.3x speedup. However when I install my code on another station with quad
core CPU, the performance change significantly. My parallel code runs 2-3
times slower than sequential code.

Is there any one who knows what happened here?

Thanks a lot.