[petsc-users] Unable to download elemental

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Jul 19 19:16:30 CDT 2014

>   Actually it is very simple and clean (though a little sparse), the
>   problems come from when people use macports, home-brew and all those
>   other “let’s make package systems like Linux has, for Apple” but
>   lets make them a little less than perfect.

Either everyone that has attempted to automate software installation,
upgrades, and dependencies for Mac systems is an idiot or Apple has made
an ecosystem that is hostile to the automation of such things.  Doing
these things manually is a monumental waste of time.  Sometime in the
90s, I took it for granted that compilers, debuggers, Octave, and the
like Just Worked, would always be up-to-date with normalized
dependencies so that any combination could be linked and so that binary
security patches were trivial.  Valgrind came soon after and I never
looked back.  To think that we're even talking about this in 2014 is
depressing.