[petsc-users] memory use of a DMDA

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Wed Oct 23 03:10:27 CDT 2013

> I will test with 3.3 later today if I have the time, but I'm pretty sure
> things were "better" there.

I did happen to have one system still having 3.2 on it, so I tested that
instead of 3.3 and at least 3.2 seems to be a bit more conservative in
numbers. For the same $CMD as before, I get

for x in 1 2 4 ; do mpirun -np $x python -c "$CMD"; done
21 MiB / 21868 kB
21 MiB / 21888 kB
218 MiB / 224028 kB
22 MiB / 22852 kB
22 MiB / 22600 kB
22 MiB / 22620 kB
22 MiB / 22872 kB
79 MiB / 81640 kB
79 MiB / 81372 kB
22 MiB / 22628 kB
22 MiB / 22648 kB
22 MiB / 22632 kB
22 MiB / 22652 kB
22 MiB / 22880 kB
22 MiB / 22900 kB
22 MiB / 22908 kB
22 MiB / 22928 kB
51 MiB / 52944 kB
51 MiB / 52936 kB
51 MiB / 53188 kB
51 MiB / 53216 kB

For comparison, 3.4.2 gives (from the previous email): 354 MiB for 1 rank, 141
for 2 ranks and 81 for 4 ranks, which is a LOT less. I suspect this might have
something to do with the DA -> DMDA change?

I still haven't got around testig Barry's branch, but hope to be able to do
that over later this week.

Cheers,
Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juhaj at iki.fi			|