[petsc-users] signal received error; MatNullSpaceTest; Stokes flow solver with pc fieldsplit and schur complement

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 17 08:00:54 CDT 2013

Bishesh Khanal <bisheshkh at gmail.com> writes:
> The program crashes only for a bigger domain size. Even in the cluster, it
> does not crash for the domain size up to a certain size.  So I need to run
> in the debugger for the case when it crashes to get the stack trace from
> the SEGV, right ? I do not know how to attach a debugger when submitting a
> job to the cluster if that is possible at all!

Most machines allow you to get "interactive" sessions.  You can usually
run debuggers within those.  Some facilities also have commercial
debuggers.

> Or are you asking me to run the program in the debugger in my laptop
> for the biggest size ? (I have not tried running the code for the
> biggest size in my laptop fearing it might take forever)

Your laptop probably doesn't have enough memory for that.

Can you try running on the cluster with one MPI rank per node?  We
should rule out simple out-of-memory problems, confirm that the code
executes correctly with MPICH, and finally figure out why it fails with
Open MPI (assuming that the previous hunch was correct).