[petsc-users] cudaSetDevice

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 8 19:04:25 CDT 2013

Harshad Sahasrabudhe <hsahasra at purdue.edu> writes:
> You are right, it doesn't if you use just one PETSc. In our case, we
> use 2 PETSc libraries (compiled separately, one each for complex and
> double).

Please remind us of this when you write.  We don't know everyone in your
group at Purdue and it would simplify our figuring out what could cause
the weird problems you encounter.

> And in that case, when the second PETSc library is initialized,
> cudaSetDevice throws an error. I can't think of any way in which both
> the PETSc libraries could be initialized with CUDA on the same
> process.

This is a general issue of interoperability between multiple libraries
that want to use CUDA.  How can we find out if someone else has already
called cudaSetDevice?