[petsc-users] Petsc-3.4.2 with MinGW-w64 on Windows 7

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 4 18:11:13 CDT 2013

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, Mengda Wu wrote:

> Hi Satis,
>
>   I've tried to use mingw distributed with cygwin. And it worked well for
> static libraries.
>
>   Another problem I am facing is I cannot build shared libraries with it
> even I supplied with "--with-shared-libraries=1". Only .a libs are
> generated and there are no dlls.

Do you need dlls? Its possible [with some hacks] - but the fortran
side won't work.

> There was a message saying "CMake setup
> incomplete (status 256), falling back to legacy build" when configuring.

Hm - thats wierd.. cmake should generally work..

> I did install Cygwin's cmake. I don't know if cmake will help for shared
> libraries.

The general guidelines that can work - is:

- have cygwin cmake
- use the following patch for buildsystem to enable a flag for dll/sharedlibs
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/50bcd979838a41ef30e4433272ba6c2e94f335bb
- configure  with --with-fc=0
- buit libraries making sure cmake is used.

Satish