[petsc-users] question about LU decomposition of a conjugated matrix

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 22 13:24:05 CST 2013

Michael Povolotskyi <mpovolot at purdue.edu> writes:

> This sounds very reasonable for me and my colleagues to have
> MatSetTransposeType(A,MAT_TRANSPOSE_HERMITIAN).
> Our problems always require Hermitian transpose but I assume there are
> problems where it is not the case.

Complex symmetric shows up in frequency-domain wave problems.  Methods
like Sou-Cheng's CS-MINRES take advantage of that structure.

> Actually my goal is to solve the transposed problem with PARDISO
> package. It looks like it is the fastest option for the problems we
> usually solve.
>
> By the way, it there a chance to have interface to Pardiso in the next
> PETSc release? My colleague Jose David Bermeo sent the modules for this
> some time ago for your approval.

I was buried in a proposal deadline and then SC13, but I will go through
the pull requests that nobody has gotten to.  I think the Pardiso
contribution is more-or-less ready to merge.  For MatMatSolveTranspose,
I would recommend doing it in a new branch starting from 'master'.
Please include a reference implementation so that we can test without
Pardiso (which is not free software).  The code should be similar to
MatMatSolve_SeqAIJ.  Once that works (and has a test), you'll merge the
Pardiso branch and add MatMatSolveTranspose_Pardiso.