[petsc-users] Debug AOCreateBasic

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 6 20:38:38 CST 2013

Rongliang Chen <rongliang.chan at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Jed,
>
> I  have not find a way to "dump core on selected ranks" yet and I will
> continue to do that.

Ask the administrators at your facility.  There are a few common ways,
but I'm not going to play a guessing game on the mailing list.

> I run my code with the option "-on_error_attach_debugger" and got the
> following message:

> An MPI process has executed an operation involving a call to the
> "fork()" system call to create a child process.  Open MPI is currently
> operating in a condition that could result in memory corruption or
> other system errors; your MPI job may hang, crash, or produce silent
> data corruption.  The use of fork() (or system() or other calls that
> create child processes) is strongly discouraged.
>
> The process that invoked fork was:
>
>    Local host:          node1529 (PID 3701)
>    MPI_COMM_WORLD rank: 0
>
> If you are *absolutely sure* that your application will successfully
> and correctly survive a call to fork(), you may disable this warning
> by setting the mpi_warn_on_fork MCA parameter to 0.
> [node1529:03700] 13 more processes have sent help message
> help-mpi-runtime.txt / mpi_init:warn-fork
> [node1529:03700] Set MCA parameter "orte_base_help_aggregate" to 0 to
> see all help / error messages
>
> Is this message useful for the debugging?

This is just a possibly technical problem attaching a debugger in your
environment, but you have to actually attach the debugger and poke
around (stack trace, etc).

Can you create an interactive session and run your job from there?