[petsc-users] SLepc configure with Arpack

Nachiket Gokhale gokhalen at gmail.com
Fri May 3 11:31:30 CDT 2013

I can't claim to speak for Jose, but I had asked him this same question
about a year ago, and IIRC he had said that the default algorithm in SlepC
(KrylovSchur) is equivalent or better then Arpack.

Looking through my email this is what I did to get arpack working (I never
used it because I switched to KrylovSchur). Can't guarantee it will work
for you -

> I was able to install ARPACK & link it with SLEPC on FC15 using
gcc/g++/gfortran  The issues were -

> 1)  I needed to change a function declaration in Arpack. This was holding
up the linking.  The function was etime in second.f

> 2)  I need to compile ARPACK with -fno-underscoring to make sure that the
C code (SlepC) links with the Fortran code

> 3)  I needed to compile additional object files by doing make all in the
LAPACK/BLAS directory that came with ARPACK to make sure that the examples
ran.

> 4)  To link it with SlepC I needed to create position independent code
using the -fPIC flag on the compiler

> 5)  I needed to install PETSC and SlepC with OpenMPI to be able to use
Parpack.  I needed to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory where the
openmpi compilers were located so that SlepC could find them.

-Nachiket