[petsc-users] [Fortran] VTK viewer error

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 19 14:59:57 CDT 2013

Dharmendar Reddy <dharmareddy84 at gmail.com> writes:

>   I like the above schema, lets call it schmea1. In the earlier
> ${ObjectName}.<Cell|Point>${FielId}, i find the Cell | Point  part of name
> not useful assuming the data is visualized in say preview as it the data is
> shown as cell or point data once the data is loaded.

Yes, but if we don't have names all, then we just have Field0, Field1,
Field2, etc.  Since cell and vertex data can be written separately, this
could result in Field0 on cells being a completely different quantity
from Field0 on vertices.  Naming them PointField0 and CellField0 helps
to disambiguate.  It's not perfect and I have to problem changing.
(Better to change now than to annoy users down the road.)

> What do u think about the schema
> ${ObjectName}${FieldName}${FielId}.${Component} . Kind of redundant, but
> ObjectName and FieldName are optional variables whereas FieldId and
> Component always exist.
>  If the user did provide the Names one can use them. Otherwise, i am
> assuming that ObjectName is a default name generated by petsc and FieldName
> seems to be set to Unnamed? If the FieldId is not used and user sets just
> the ObjectName and not FieldName then the names will clash for multiple
> fields if one were to use schmea1.

I did something like this, and from your other message, it sounds like
you think it's okay.  Let me know if you'd like something different.