[petsc-users] [Fortran] VTK viewer error

Dharmendar Reddy dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 01:48:05 CDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dharmendar Reddy <dharmareddy84 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Now the data in vtu file is calle
> >
> > myfieldPoint0    So the pattern is ..<fieldName><Point| Cell><field Id> ?
> > where the field Name is the one set using PetscObjectSetName ?
> >
> > But why is it not using the name set using PetscSectionSetFieldName ?
>
> The DMDA code (that I wrote before the DMPlex stuff) used field
> information, but for whatever reason, I didn't have it available when
> writing the DMPlex VTU code.  Maybe it was just that the "field"
> interface is more complicated in DMPlex.
>
> > If i have a few fields per point then i can manage with the field Ids
>  but
> > usually the aux data i look at has about 10 to 12 fields. It would make
> > things easier if i can refer to them using Names in the paraview.   As
> the
> > viewer is accessing the DM object, why not get the user set field names
> in
> > the default section ?
>
> This is now in 'next'.  I've only tested it for a cell-centered problem.
> Let me know if it works for you.
>
> commit 1cfafdd3620b0d8e55f5b21e1f3de1941197d333
> Author: Jed Brown <jed at 59A2.org>
> Date:   Fri Apr 19 00:40:19 2013 -0500
>
>     DMPlex: teach VTU output about field names and components
>
>     Schema is "${ObjectName}${FieldName}.${Component}".  For example

  I like the above schema, lets call it schmea1. In the earlier
${ObjectName}.<Cell|Point>${FielId}, i find the Cell | Point  part of name
not useful assuming the data is visualized in say preview as it the data is
shown as cell or point data once the data is loaded.
What do u think about the schema
${ObjectName}${FieldName}${FielId}.${Component} . Kind of redundant, but
ObjectName and FieldName are optional variables whereas FieldId and
Component always exist.
 If the user did provide the Names one can use them. Otherwise, i am
assuming that ObjectName is a default name generated by petsc and FieldName
seems to be set to Unnamed? If the FieldId is not used and user sets just
the ObjectName and not FieldName then the names will clash for multiple
fields if one were to use schmea1.

>       SolutionDensity.0
>       SolutionMomentum.0
>       SolutionMomentum.1
>       SolutionMomentum.2
>       SolutionEnergy.0
>
>  src/dm/impls/plex/plexvtu.c | 43 ++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
>  1 file changed, 30 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

Dharmendar Reddy Palle
Graduate Student
Microelectronics Research center,
University of Texas at Austin,