[petsc-users] [Fortran] VTK viewer error

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 19 00:54:18 CDT 2013

Dharmendar Reddy <dharmareddy84 at gmail.com> writes:

> Now the data in vtu file is calle
>
> myfieldPoint0    So the pattern is ..<fieldName><Point| Cell><field Id> ?
> where the field Name is the one set using PetscObjectSetName ?
>
> But why is it not using the name set using PetscSectionSetFieldName ?

The DMDA code (that I wrote before the DMPlex stuff) used field
information, but for whatever reason, I didn't have it available when
writing the DMPlex VTU code.  Maybe it was just that the "field"
interface is more complicated in DMPlex.

> If i have a few fields per point then i can manage with the field Ids  but
> usually the aux data i look at has about 10 to 12 fields. It would make
> things easier if i can refer to them using Names in the paraview.   As the
> viewer is accessing the DM object, why not get the user set field names in
> the default section ?

This is now in 'next'.  I've only tested it for a cell-centered problem.
Let me know if it works for you.

commit 1cfafdd3620b0d8e55f5b21e1f3de1941197d333