[petsc-users] maintaining application compatibility with 3.1 and 3.2

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 10:20:10 CDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Alexei Matveev <
alexei.matveev+petsc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do I understand it correctly that there is no way currently to load a
>>> distributed
>>> Vec from the file without knowing and setting its dimensions first?
>>>

>> I am not sure what you mean here. The point is that prescribing the
>> layout of a Vec
>> in a file is clearly wrong. We would like to be able to save from one
>> parallel configuration
>> and load on another (maybe serial). Thus, the loader prescribes the
>> layout.
>>

> I see. You understood me correctly. I used that feature to to quickly load
> a Vec from a file and dump it in ACSII or to do simple arithmetics.
> Admittedly
> that was usually done in serial runs.
>
> So the comment here is actually wrong, since you say it is not going to be
> supported by any viewer/loader pair?

No, I have to be more specific. PETSc saves the Vec in a uniform format, but
also saves information "out of band" in a .info file. If the input Vec has
not been
already partitioned, the plan was to use the .info file to recreate the
original
layout.

   Matt