[petsc-users] Mailing list reply-to munging (was Any changes in ML usage between 3.1-p8 -> 3.3-p6?)

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 17 17:03:58 CDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > I know you deal with personal replies for petsc-maint stuff. But I set
> > up my mailer to automatically set Reply-to:petsc-maint for all
> > petsc-maint traffic [and modify it manually for the 1% usage case
> > where thats not appropriate]
>
> If I only set Reply-to, then Gmail's "reply" does not reply correctly
> This seems buggy, but it's common and they never fix bugs so it doesn't
> help.
>
> Your headers set both:
>
>   From: Satish Balay <petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov>

If from is a problem [and messesup anyones mailboxes] - I can change
that. I felt it was best to deal with it as petsc-maint completely.

> Several of us sending email as petsc-maint mixes up a lot of address
> books and Gmail will not allow me to send mail that way because Matt
> already claimed it and Gmail won't let two users send via the same
> address.

No such problem from pine [even though most of you think its an
antique tool for current times]

> So I would have to configure my outgoing smtp via mcs.anl.gov
> for those messages.  (Not a problem, except when on networks that I have
> to proxy just to reach mcs.anl.gov.)

Any smtp server should be fine. [but I guess if one doesn't work - all
won't work]. I usually tunnel imap/smtp over ssh [eventhough is not
required for smtp]. But you do go to places with blocked ssh - so that
doesn't help.

Satish