[petsc-users] Mailing list reply-to munging (was Any changes in ML usage between 3.1-p8 -> 3.3-p6?)

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 17 16:51:07 CDT 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> I know you deal with personal replies for petsc-maint stuff. But I set
> up my mailer to automatically set Reply-to:petsc-maint for all
> petsc-maint traffic [and modify it manually for the 1% usage case
> where thats not appropriate]

If I only set Reply-to, then Gmail's "reply" does not reply correctly
This seems buggy, but it's common and they never fix bugs so it doesn't
help.

Your headers set both:

  From: Satish Balay <petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov>

Several of us sending email as petsc-maint mixes up a lot of address
books and Gmail will not allow me to send mail that way because Matt
already claimed it and Gmail won't let two users send via the same
address.  So I would have to configure my outgoing smtp via mcs.anl.gov
for those messages.  (Not a problem, except when on networks that I have
to proxy just to reach mcs.anl.gov.)

> And wrt anonymous posts [without subscribing] - that was a receipie
> for spam.  [however good the spam filters are] - so you'll have to
> account for that crap aswell. We get plenty of that on petsc-maint -
> but now with petsc-users mailing list - that spam gets distributed to
> all list subscribers.

Yeah, it happens occasionally, but it's easier to filter with the
original headers intact.