[petsc-users] ksp for AX=B system

Jin, Shuangshuang Shuangshuang.Jin at pnnl.gov
Tue Apr 16 18:21:31 CDT 2013

Hi, petsc developers, I have another question regarding solving the AX=B linear systems.

I know that we can use PETSc ksp solver to solve an Ax=b linear system in parallel, where A is a square matrix, and b is a column vector for example.

What about solving AX=B in parallel, where A is still  n*n, and B is a n*m matrix?

If I solve each column of B one by one, such as:
for (i = 0; i < m; i++)
Callkspsolver(A, xi, bi); // user defined wrapper function to call PETSc ksp solver

Then for solving each individual Axi = bi, it's parallel. However, if m is big, the sequential outside loop is quite inefficient.

What is the best approach to parallelize the outside loop as well to speed up the overall computation?

Thanks,
Shuangshuang