[petsc-users] coordinate point location in mesh

Dharmendar Reddy dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 22:33:45 CDT 2013

Hello
        Do i am currently cloned petsc using git. Looks like the function
you mentioned is in knepley/pylith. How do i switch to that branch ?
I guess i need to pull the branch before switching ?
git branch knepley/pylith
and
reconfigure ?

May not be of (immediate) concern but an observation about the
LocatePoint_<Simplex> codes.

I see that test is done for every cell by calculating the ref cell mapped
coordinates for a given point. It might help speed up things if there is a
test to first check if the given point is with in the square/cube
containing the simplex.

The above test will make sure that the point is inside the cell or with in
one of the adjoining cells.

I am assuming the DMPlex object has information about cells adjoining a
given cell. Since the LocatePoint_<Simplex> calculates the ref cell mapped
coordinates, I may be wrong here but i am thinking we can use that
information to check outside which facet of the refcell the given point is
and then try to locate the point in the cell sharing that facet.

Thanks
Reddy

e-mail: dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Phone: +1-512-350-9082