[petsc-users] Adding a processing on the solution

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun May 27 10:09:25 CDT 2012

TVD methods need to modify the flux function. If you just do an unlimited
flux function and then project after each step, you lose local
conservation, which if you look in the dictionary, is the definition of
throwing the baby out with the bath water.

So put the limiter in the residual evaluation (as slope reconstruction or
flux limiting; as you prefer), but try to use a limiter that has a
continuous first derivative, otherwise Newton may converge slowly or even
stagnate before reaching a tight tolerance.