[petsc-users] Linesearch algorithm

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 14 12:00:18 CDT 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 10:29 AM, behzad baghapour wrote:

> Dear Developers,
>
> I wish to know when the algorithm of Linesearch used by SNESLineSearchCubic or SNESLineSearchQuadratic calls the Jacobian calculation routine defined by user? Is it a way to change the Jacobian before calling the line-search routines?
>
> Thanks,
> BehZad

   The linesearch routines themselves never call a "compute Jacobian" routine. It is only SNESSolve_LS() that computes the Jacobian and then uses it in the linear solve.   Some of the line search routines reuse the previously computed Jacobian in a matrix vector product to determine the appropriate descent requirements. You can see the code in src/snes/impls/ls/ls.c