[petsc-users] GAMG issue

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 30 08:42:18 CDT 2012

On Mar 29, 2012, at 2:40 PM, John Mousel wrote:

> I'm attempting to solve a non-symmetric discretization of a 3D Poisson problem. The problem is singular. I've attached the results of KSPView from runs with ML and GAMG. When I run ML, I get convergence in 30 iterations. When I attempt to use the same settings with GAMG, I'm not getting convergence at all. The two things I notice are:
>
> 1. GAMG is using KSPType preonly, even though I've set it to be Richardson in my command line options.

PETSc seems to switch the coarse grid solver to GMRES in Setup.  This seems to be a bug and I unwisely decide to override this manually. I will undo this in the next checkin.  This should not be the problem however.

> 2. ML only coarsens down to 4 rows while GAMG coarsens to 2. My problem is singular, and whenever I try to use LU, I get zero pivot problems. To mitigate this, I've been using Richardson with SOR on the coarse matrix. Could the smaller coarse grid size of GAMG be causing problems with SOR. If so, is there a way to put a lower limit on the coarse grid size?

I'm thinking that with a 2x2 coarse grid 8 iterations of SOR is picking up the null space.  Maybe try just one SOR iteration on the coarse grid.

Also, can you run with options_left so that I can see your arguments.  One known bug is the mat_diagaonal_scale breaks GAMG, but it should also break ML.

Mark