[petsc-users] Preconditioners memory use

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 27 10:17:46 CDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 08:32, Jarunan Panyasantisuk <jarunan at ascomp.ch>wrote:

> In case you have an experience about precondtiioners performance tests:
> Does the preconditioner Block Jacobi generally consume memory more than
> HYPRE/BoomerAMG? I use GMRES as a solver and -log_summary to print out the
> performance result. The results of my test case shows that BJACOBI uses
> more memory than AMG. I thought it is other way round. If you have similar
> results, please share your experience.

BoomerAMG uses much more memory (unless you use direct subdomain solves,
depending on size), but BoomerAMG does not use PetscMalloc, so PETSc can't
reliably monitor how much memory it is using. You can use
PetscMemoryGetCurrentUsage() to ask the system how much memory it has given
to the application.