[petsc-users] sieve-dev Data shared between points in a Sieve DAG

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:30:04 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Chris Eldred <chris.eldred at gmail.com>wrote:

> Lets consider the mesh from "Flexible Representation of Computational
> Meshes" on the LHS of figure 2. (0,1) (0,2) (0,3) and (0,4) are vertices;
> (0,5), (0,6), (0,7), (0,8) and (0,9) are edges; (0,10) and (0,11) are
> cells. My field would be defined as (for example):
>
> field ( (0,5) ; (0,10) ) = 1.0
> field ( (0,6) ; (0,10) ) = 2.0
> field ( (0,7) ; (0,11) ) = 1.3
> etc.
>
> Does that make sense?

Oh, are you wanting something like DG? The tying of data values to mesh
points is primarily to indicate
sharing of values. If you have something like DG, I would initially do
something like you did, which is
assign all the variables to the cell since they are not shared. Since the
cone is always oriented, the
association between edges and values would be guaranteed.

I have thought about another way to do this, but I don't think its any
easier. You could instead associate
2 values with an edge, one for one side and the other for another. You can
then look at the coneOrientation
for that edge in the cell to know which value to choose for the cell. I am
not sure this is easier, but it does
facilitate communication of the "other" value for cells with neighbors on
other processes.

    Matt