[petsc-users] [PETSc-TAO] Question about memory

Alberto Cirillo cirilloalberto at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:17:39 CDT 2012

Hi,

I have a question about memory management in CUDA environment, using TAO
toolkit.
When i create a vector with VECSEQCUSP, it's placed on GPU memory,
transfered to CPU memory and returned back when operations are done
(function evaluation is made by CPU).
If I have a VECSEQCUSP vector with dimension that causes the exhaustion of
GPU's memory, there is a possibility to swap this vector on CPU's memory in
order to avoid "bad alloc" error?
For example: if GPU memory is 4GB and CPU memory is 8GB and my working
vector is 6GB, PETSc doesn't have a method to manage automatically the
vector avoiding the crash?

Thanks
Alberto