[petsc-users] Is there a corresponding function in petsc4py to VecMPISetFhost

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Mon Jul 2 08:38:57 CDT 2012

Xin,

Unless you have modified your PYTHONPATH variable or your site-packages
settings, this command:

python setup.py install --user

will not actually install petsc4py in a location visible to your Python
installation.  Unfortunately, the Python procedures and documentation for
"user-local" installations are fairly poor in comparison to the rest of
Python's friendliness.  I rely on virtualenv to set up an environment that
I can just "pip install" into.  I recommend using virtualenv, as properly
using it can save you a lot of headaches when developing in Python.  See
this answer on StackExchange to understand how to get set up with
virtualenv:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/5177027/122022

Once you have created a virtualenv, you can then cd into the directory of
code you'd like to use and type:

pip install -e .

This allows you to modify the code and have those changes reflected when
you reload the virtual environment's Python interpreter.

If you just need to install once, you can just do:

pip install .

or

python setup.py install

And the package will be installed into the virtual environment, though you
will need to re-install if you make any changes.

Hope this helps,
Aron

--

this email.