[petsc-users] Null space of discrete Laplace with periodic boundary conditions

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:51:16 CST 2012

Oh sorry.  This is surface Laplacian . My bad

thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> [...]
square equipped with periodic boundary conditions on all four edges. Is it
correct that the null space is still constant? I wounder, because when I
run the same code on a sphere (so a 2D surface embedded in 3D), the
resulting matrix is non-singular. I thought, that both cases should be
somehow equal with respect to the null space?

>>> The continuum operators for both cases have a constant null space, so
if either is nonsingular in your finite element code, it's a discretization
problem.