[petsc-users] Hypre through Petsc: BoomerAMG options

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:08:14 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Arun Kamath <arun.kamath.m at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hei!
> I was going through the Petsc user archives when I came across a
> discussion with Barry Smith regarding use of BoomerAMG through Petsc
> (http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/2006-October/000692.html).
>
> What I did understand from that is some of the Hypre options cannot
> be accessed through Petsc. But options like Pilut are available as
> preconditioners or solvers depnding on ksptype.
> I am trying to use ILU smoothening to BoomerAMG (Hypre's manual lists the
> smoothers available and the function calls). The questions that remain
> after going through that discussion are:
>
> 1.  Can a smoothening option in hypre's boomerAMG could be chosen at all
> using Petsc?

Yes (although I do not see ILU in their docs). You can see all the
BoomerAMG options with -help.

> 2.  Could the function calls phrases used in Hypre itself be somehow
> employed in the Petsc code?
>
> Would be really grateful for any advice. Since I am using an IDE to build
> the code, non-command line option tricks would also be of great help.

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Sys/PetscOptionsSetValue.html

However, consider what you are doing. Changing code to run a different
simulation, in the 21st century,
is like hitching a horse to your Skoda.

   Matt