[petsc-users] Matrix Market matrices in PETSc binary format - repository

Pierre-Yves Aquilanti sperif at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:49:04 CDT 2012

Hello All,

When developing software using PETSc, I had the need to experiment my codes using some tests matrices that I generally take from the University of Florida Sparse Matrix Collection. Those matrices are quite illustrative and help to check if my code works or allow me to bench it.

The problem is that when in parallel, it is quite tricky to use a matrix in Matrix Market format as an input. And if I'm not mistaking, it is needed to convert the matrix from MM to PETSc binary format, which can take a lot time in some cases (I am converting dielFilterV3clx, it has been running for 162h and still not finished).

For this reason, I am converting a bunch of matrices with a small piece of software, store them in some place and reuse them when needed. It allows me to avoid the burden or converting my matrices each time and also keep a small library of matrices for testing and benchmarking.

I began to regroup the converted matrices on a github repo so others can use them : https://github.com/Perif/UF-PETSc-Matrices

The program that I use for conversion is also available here : https://github.com/Perif/MatrixMarketToPETSc

Please, feel free to comment to comment. It's the first time that I am sharing codes and data on the net and there might be some things to correct.

I hope this could be useful to someone.

Regards,

PY