[petsc-users] Configure error

Fabio fabio.pinna.2006 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:34:38 CDT 2012

2012/8/10 Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov>:

> Executing: /cygdrive/d/Workspace/PETSc/petsc-3.3-p2/bin/win32fe/win32fe cl  -o /tmp/petsc-_yEt5c/config.setCompilers/conftest.exe    /tmp/petsc-_yEt5c/config.setCompilers/conftest.o
> sh: LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'^M
> <<<
>
> Ok configure failing with compiler check. It hasn't gone up to mpi check.
>
> Have you setup compilers in bash correctly [as the installation
> instructions indicate?]. Have you checked if the compiler works [in
> both 'compiler cmd' as well as bash] with a simple code - as the
> instructions indicate?
>
>> MSVC Express (32 bit with some work to do to make it see 64 bit by
>> means of sdk installation)?
>
> I don't know what you mean by this.
>
> Using 32bit compilers on 64bit windows shouldn't be a problem. You
> shouldn't need 'some work' to have useable 32bit compilers.
>
> Satish
>
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012, Fabio wrote:
>
>> Without using the wiht-mpi-dir option the code start testing but it
>> stops saying the "C compiler associated with mpi-cc win32fe cl  does
>> not work"
>> (configure.log is its log)
>>
>> If I use a link to another directory without space in the name I get
>> the same error (provided that the link has been done in cygwin
>> otherwise I have Nonexistant directory). It seems than anyway path are
>> an issue in general (although for standard path they seem to find
>> correctly what they need)
>> The respective log file is configure2.log
>>
>> It look like it is not finding kernel32.lib. Actually a search in my
>> system find only kernel32.dll so I think that the configure script
>> complain rightfully.
>> Anyway could this be linked to my setup win 7 64 bit and MSVC Express
>> (32 bit with some work to do to make it see 64 bit by means of sdk
>> installation)?
>>  I thought I could just start with a 32 bit version as it is the
>> default setting of MSVC and it was quite hard to make the 64 bit work
>> (I would have liked to have something simple to focus only on my real
>> implementation, instead of running after VC Express tantrums)
>>
>> Thank you very much for your assistance
>>
>> Fabio

>> > Remove the --with-mpi-dir option.
>> >
>> > Configure should automatically look for mpich at this location.
>> >
>> > Satish

I start from the VC prompt and then I go to cygwin. When I type cl
under cygwin I have the message
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++Optimizing Compiler Version ... so I believe
cl is really working.

Is there something more I could do (in the mean whiel I will write a
simple program to test the compiler)?

Fabio