[petsc-users] Configure error

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 5 11:48:43 CDT 2012

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012, Fabio wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am new to petsc, and I've been struggling with it for the last days.
>
> I want to install it on Windows 7, and first  I tried to install the
> Microsoft MPI and then compiling the MPICH. They both seems ok but I
> am not able to compile Petsc with any of them.
> I am mostly interested to MPICH (for portability).
> I used this script to configure
>
> ./config/configure.py PETSC_ARCH=win32-gnu  --with-fc=0
> --download-f2cblaslapack=1
> –with-mpi-dir=/cygdrive/d/Workspace/MPICH/mpich2-1.4.1p1

What compilers do you plan to use? MS C/C++ or cygwin gcc/g++?

[MS MPI is for use with MS compiler only. MPICH binary install is for
MS compilers, and MPICH source install is for cygwin gcc/g++]

>  and I've got this error,
>
>                     UNABLE to EXECUTE BINARIES for config/configure.py
> [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: 'conftest.exe'
>
> This error seems to happen pretty randomly at differente places in the script.
> Any idea to solve this problem?

Its bad file locks on windows. The only suggestion we have is reboot.

For some cygwin issues - you need to run 'rebaseall' but this doesn;t apper to be
that issue.

If you still have issues - send the complete log [and logfile] to petsc-maint.

Satish