[petsc-users] with hypre

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 07:47:18 CDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Amneet Bhalla <mail2amneet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to solve system of PDEs on AMR grid. I using PETSc 's Krylov
> solver for that. This requires me
> to use a FAC preconditioner with a non-Krylov solver for the level 0. I
> actually tried PETSc's Krylov Solver
> for level 0 (by building  MPIAIJ Mat and Vec), but it does not really
> improve the convergence rate. So I believe
> I will have to use a multigrid solver for level 0. Can I use my already
> built PETSc Mat and Vec and call multigrid solvers from PETSc?

Use AMG to start here since it is easy. You can either use ML or GAMG
(which is builtin) to start, or Hypre if
you straighten out the link (likely broken from not using the makefiles).

> If thats not possible, I am planning to use hypre's "SysPFMG" to write a
> multigrid solver for level 0.
> I have installed PETSc with hypre by using --download-hypre=1 option.  I
> can build and run many
> examples in PETSC_ARCH/externalpackages/hypre-2.7.0b/src/examples/ but not
> ex9; which is the
> closest I could find for my purpose.
> http://acts.nersc.gov/hypre/example09/ex9.c.html
>
>  I am getting some linkage error like

Always send the entire output, including the command that was run. I have
no idea what file you are trying to
compile here. Does the example work?

   Matt