[petsc-users] petsc binary matrix file for dense matrices

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 10 04:27:42 CDT 2012

Dear all,

For a simple interface to SLEPc, I need to write my sparse or dense
matrices in PETSc binary format, at first, I need to solve reduced dense
generalized eigenvalue problems which are in dense matrix format.

I first had a look at the MATLAB routines to read and write the matrices
as examples and MatLoad function manual. I got the idea however I have a
question regarding the write operation for dense matrices, in MATLAB
code, it is given as

     [m,n] = size(A);
     write(fd,[1211214,m*n],'int32');
     write(fd,A,'double');

I guess the dense matrix is written as a 1d array, is this right? and
there is no need for row and column information for the matrix. I am
guessing that MATLAB writes the matrix, A, in column-major orientation,
is not this a problem for petsc dense matrices? Most probably this info
is somewhere in the documentation, but could not find. Any pointers are
appreciated.

Best,
Umut