[petsc-users] Problem with mpiexec

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 27 07:29:22 CDT 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Konstantinos Kontzialis <
> ckontzialis at lycos.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > When I do the following:
> >
> > make PETSC_DIR=/home/kontzialis/**petsc-3.1-p8
> > PETSC_ARCH=linux-gnu-c-debug test
> >
> > I get the following:
> >
> > Running test examples to verify correct installation
> >
> > and I wait for hours.
> >
> > I tried to run an mpi application of my own which uses petsc as follows:
> >
> > mpiexec -n 8 ./hoac cylisupersonic -llf_flux -explicit -explicit_type 1
> >
> > and I get the following error:
> >
> > ssh: Could not resolve hostname PlusSodaL: Name or service not known
> >

> You have your hostname set to something that your DNS will not resolve. No
> MPI program will run on this box, not just PETSc.
>
> Either set your hostname to something that resolves (using 'hostname'), or
> put 'PlusSodaL' in /etc/resolve.conf

Actually you should add the following to /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 PlusSodaL
<<<

And make sure 'ssh PlusSodaL ls' works.

Its strange that hydra is attempting to use 'ssh' for this run. What do you have for

env |grep HYDRA

Alternatively you can try:

mpiexec -launcher fork -n 8 ./hoac cylisupersonic -llf_flux -explicit -explicit_type 1

More hydra related info at:
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager

Satish