[petsc-users] Write complex matrix/vector from Matlab

amrit poudel amrit_pou at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:52:18 CDT 2011

Hello Barry,
Thanks for your quick response. The one that I have compiled was PETSc-3.1-p8. Does this mean I will need to re-compile the most recent 3.2 version to get this working? I was surprised due to the fact that PetscBinaryWrite.m did not even work for REAL matrix. The error I got while reading the file in PETSc was :
[0]PETSC ERROR: Read from file failed!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Read past end of file!

You mentioned in your reply that "reading ASCII files in parallel is not viable. "
Does any part of my code show that I am trying to do this? I am asking this just to make sure that I am doing the right thing and not making any such mistakes.
Did you mean that I should avoid doing something like this :
ierr = MatLoad(binviewer, MATMPIAIJ, &C) ; CHKERRQ(ierr) ;

Is this really not storing a sparse matrix(if C is sparse) in parallel across different processors( if I were running this on a multi-processor computer or a cluster)?
My ultimate goal is the following, which I am copying here from my previous email :
 I plan on assembling my matrix (very large square sparse matrix, size
greater than 1e+8) in MATLAB, which does not take too long to assemble
in MATLAB at all. Then I will write the matrix to a binary file and read
 that in PETSc and solve a very large linear system of equations in
parallel in PETSc using MPI.

All I want to make sure is be able to read the matrix in PETSc and then have it distribute over different processors and then solve the linear system.

Sorry for repeating my goals here again, but I was just trying to get any feedback whether this is really the way to work with PETSc.

Thank you for your help.

-Amrit