[petsc-users] query about PETSc usage in Fortran applications

Blaise Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Thu Oct 27 14:53:45 CDT 2011

Lois,

I use petsc through the fortran interface for my variational fracture mechanics code. (unstructured finite elements, 2d-3d). petsc has been instrumental in getting a parallel version. Sieve really helped me getting to large problems (largest to date being a 24M elements, 2,400 cores simulation, after which I cannot find tools to post-process my results)

The application area is somewhere between engineering, computational mechanics, and applied mathematics

I currently use Sieve, the KSP solvers and am in the (slow) process of adding TS. In the future, I will try to use VI in order to replace the optimization routines from TAO.

I have acknowledged petsc in the following publications (I don't think that any of them is listed on the petsc web page).
[Bourdin et al., 2011] Bourdin, B., Larsen, C., and Richardson, C. (2011). A time-discrete model for dynamic fracture based on crack regularization. International Journal of Fracture, 168:133–143. 10.1007/s10704- 010-9562-x.
[Bourdin et al., 2010] Bourdin, B., Bucur, D., and Oudet, E. (2009/2010). Optimal partitions. SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 31(6):4100–4114.
[Bourdin et al., 2008] Bourdin, B., Francfort, G., and Marigo, J.-J. (2008). The Variational Approach to Fracture. (reprinted from J. Elasticity 91(1-3):1–148, 2008). Springer.
[Bourdin et al., 2008] Bourdin, B., Francfort, G., and Marigo, J.-J. (2008). The variational approach to fracture. J. Elasticity, 91(1-3):1–148.
[Kimn and Bourdin, 2007] Kimn, J.-H. and Bourdin, B. (2007). Numerical implementation of overlapping balancing domain decomposition methods on unstructured meshes. In Widlund, O. B. and Keyes, D. E., editors, Domain Decomposition Methods in Science and Engineering XVI, volume 55 of Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, pages 309–315. Springer-Verlag.

as well as in several conference proceedings, and talks.

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA