[petsc-users] Appending to vector / numerical continuation / slepc

Kevin Green kevin.richard.green at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:18:57 CDT 2011

Successfully updated to petsc-3.2 and slepc-dev.

A note about slepc-dev:
configure failed, with the error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./configure", line 10, in <module>
    execfile(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), 'config',
'configure.py'))
  File "./config/configure.py", line 344, in <module>
    generatefortranstubs.main(petscconf.BFORT)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'BFORT'

when I commented out the offending if statement in configure.py, the build
worked, but the tests for fortran examples failed... Not really an issue for
me, but thought I should point this out.

DMcomposite examples:
src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex21.c (the example that seems most useful for
my purpose) fails to run, as the jacobian isn't set within the code... I
thought maybe running it with the -snes_fd option would work, but that
results in a null object somewhere within snes.c.  My guess is that an mffd
needs to be in place for this.  Or am I missing something?

Up until this point, I have been setting the jacobian on a 2D (periodic in x
and y) DM analytically.  To preallocate the nonzero structure of the
jacobian, I use DMDASetBlockFills(...).  Now that I wish to use a
DMComposite with the original DM and an array, I presume I'll have to use
DMCompositeSetCoupling(...) to preallocate the jacobian structure, but the
only example quoted in that documentation points this out, but doesn't
actually use it.  So...
1.  Can I still manage to use DMDASetBlockFills(...) for the DM part of the
composite?
2.  How would the array coupling then get "wiggled in" to the structure?
3.  It seems like this process could get ugly if the above is not
possible... so if I move away from setting the Jacobian explicitly, do
things become simpler?

That's all for now, it seems fairly intuitive on how to make use of the
composite once it gets set up.

Cheers,
Kevin