[petsc-users] is something wrong with nnz ?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 23 08:55:27 CST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:24, jean-frederic thebault <
jean-frederic at thebault-net.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering what's wrong in my code. I'm using PETSc to solve a linear
> system, and willing to use a multi-processor computer. 9 years ago, I used
> petsc-2.1.3 with success. Few weeks ago, I've update petsc with the 3.1-p8
> version and made the necessary changes to work with. No problem. And
> recently, I've migrate to petsc-3.2-p5. Compilation is OK. But when I do
> simulation, now, I have some PETSC-ERROR in the log file, even using only
> one processor (see the out.log file in this email).

You are calling MatSetOption() with the wrong number of arguments. C
compilers tell you about this, but Fortran compilers do not.

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatSetOption.html

> However, I think I defined MatMPI and VecMPI correctly, according to the
> doc. The log file tell that something wrong with the nnz which should not
> be greater than row length (??).

The log you sent does not say anything about nnz. Fix the call to
MatSetOption().

And also, with the previous version of PETSc I've used, the were no problem
> using -pc_type bjacobi and -sub_pc_type sor, juste to solve linear system
> doing parallel computations and because SOR is not parallelized. But now,
> when I use -pc_type bjacobi and -sub_pc_type sor, with 3 rank, I experiment
> some convergence problem during my simulation.

These options should do the same thing they used to do. Make sure you are
assembling correctly. If it's still confusing, run the old and new code with

-ksp_monitor_true_residual -ksp_converged_reason -ksp_view -pc_type bjacobi
-sub_pc_type sor

and send the output of both for us to look at.

Also note that you can use -pc_type sor even in parallel. There are options
for local iterations and full iterations.