[petsc-users] binary writing to tecplot

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 22 08:15:02 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 07:53, Benjamin Sanderse <B.Sanderse at cwi.nl> wrote:

> Tecplot is able to read HDF5 files according to the possible types listed
> in its dataloader, so that seems like an interesting option.

You will have to find their documentation of how to write the HDF5 file or
how to specify what is in the file (XDMF is one way).

> But where do I find Petsc documentation on writing HDF5 files? Is this in
> the development version?

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Viewer/PetscViewerHDF5Open.html

More generally, and for anything, it's often useful to search this page:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/singleindex.html
)

> By the way, I am using structured Cartesian grids, and all operations such
> as interpolation and differentiation are carried out as matrix-vector
> products, which also include boundary conditions. I am not using DAs at the
> moment, would it be better to use those?

Defining derivatives this way is often complicated at boundary conditions,
but whatever works for you. Using DMDA allows PETSc viewers to put more
semantic information into the file.