[petsc-users] trouble installing petsc 3.1-p8 on centos 4.8

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 17 10:59:41 CST 2011

Configure Options: --configModules=PETSc.Configure --optionsModule=PETSc.compilerOptions --with-shared --with-debugging=0 --with-batch --with-mpi-dir=/home/edward/MPM/openmpi-1.4.4/build2

> Must give a default value for known-mpi-shared since executables cannot be run

Well - as the message says - configure needs the user to tell it if
mpi libraries are shared or not. i.e specify -known-mpi-shared=1 [or
0]. When --with-batch option is used - configure can't do 'run tests'
to determin this itself.

But I think the primary issue is - the openmpi install is
broken. Hence you might gotten a message about - "can't run binaries -
suggest using --with-batch"

This is because oenmpi install is broken until you set the following
[as per openmpi installation instructions]

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/edward/MPM/openmpi-1.4.4/build2/lib

petsc-3.2 works arround this user-unfriendly feature.

Satish